Bhagat Jaidev's Influence on Yoga

SBN CEO

Administrator
Staff member
I have just come across this by Mr sikhnet.
http://www.mrsikhnet.com/2008/10/16/...ya-meditation/

it is labelled as 'sodarshan chakra kriya meditation'

This particular yog kriya has it's full reference to Bhagat Jaidev's shabad on Ang 1106

ਰਾਗੁ ਮਾਰੂ ਬਾਣੀ ਜੈਦੇਉ ਜੀਉ ਕੀ

Rāg mārū baṇī jaiḏe▫o jī▫o kī

Raag Maaroo, The Word Of Jai Dayv Jee:

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ

Ik▫oaʼnkār saṯgur parsāḏ.

One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ਚੰਦ ਸਤਭੇਦਿਆ ਨਾਦ ਸਤ ਪੂਰਿਆ ਸੂਰ ਸਤ ਖੋੜਸਾ ਦਤੁ ਕੀਆ

Cẖanḏ saṯ bẖeḏi▫ā nāḏ saṯ pūri▫ā sūr saṯ kẖoṛsā ḏaṯ kī▫ā.

The breath is drawn in through the left nostril; it is held in the central channel of the Sukhmanaa, and exhaled through the right nostril, repeating the Lord's Name sixteen times.

ਅਬਲ ਬਲੁ ਤੋੜਿਆ ਅਚਲ ਚਲੁ ਥਪਿਆ ਅਘੜੁ ਘੜਿਆ ਤਹਾ ਅਪਿਉ ਪੀਆ ॥੧॥

Abal bal ṯoṛi▫ā acẖal cẖal thapi▫ā agẖaṛ gẖaṛi▫ā ṯahā api▫o pī▫ā. ||1||

I am powerless; my power has been broken. My unstable mind has been stabilized, and my unadorned soul has been adorned. I drink in the Ambrosial Nectar. ||1||

ਮਨ ਆਦਿ ਗੁਣ ਆਦਿ ਵਖਾਣਿਆ

Man āḏ guṇ āḏ vakẖāṇi▫ā.

Within my mind, I chant the Name of the Primal Lord God, the Source of virtue.

ਤੇਰੀ ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਸੰਮਾਨਿਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ

Ŧerī ḏubiḏẖā ḏarisat sammāni▫ā. ||1|| rahā▫o.

My vision, that You are I are separate, has melted away. ||1||Pause||

ਅਰਧਿ ਕਉ ਅਰਧਿਆ ਸਰਧਿ ਕਉ ਸਰਧਿਆ ਸਲਲ ਕਉ ਸਲਲਿ ਸੰਮਾਨਿ ਆਇਆ

Araḏẖ ka▫o arḏẖi▫ā saraḏẖ ka▫o sarḏẖi▫ā salal ka▫o salal sammān ā▫i▫ā.

I worship the One who is worthy of being worshipped. I trust the One who is worthy of being trusted. Like water merging in water, I merge in the Lord.

ਬਦਤਿ ਜੈਦੇਉ ਜੈਦੇਵ ਕਉ ਰੰਮਿਆ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਨਿਰਬਾਣੁ ਲਿਵ ਲੀਣੁ ਪਾਇਆ ॥੨॥੧॥

Baḏaṯ jaiḏe▫o Jaiḏev ka▫o rammi▫ā barahm nirbāṇ liv līṇ pā▫i▫ā. ||2||1||

Says Jai Dayv, I meditate and contemplate the Luminous, Triumphant Lord. I am lovingly absorbed in the Nirvaanaa of God. ||2||1||

Bhagat Jaidev's bani was in the collection of Guru Nanak Ji's pothis from his travels. Guru Arjan Dev ji included them as per compilations of Guru Nanak ji.
I know that the above reference to left and right nostril is reference to Irhaa and Pingla(for yoga) for which Guru Nanak ji has pointed out in other places that there is no difference in them as per gurmat and that he sees them and accepts both as the same.
Because true meditation within yourself (naam simran) and directed at the true source or mool is ALL the irrha,pingla and sushmana.. ie.NO DUALITY.
Controlling breath by assuming left and right nostrils have different actions is empty practicing without any focus on the true mool or source.

However, we have Mr Sikhnet that seems to interpret this literally and it becomes contradicting to other shabads.

I've tried to look at the teekas but I can't make enough for a conclusion !!
Even when I try using the yogic metaphors of these left and right nostrils representing the Moon and Sun respectively, I don't get any closer !

More...