Age Difference Questions...

SBN CEO

Administrator
Staff member
I just have a very general question... I know that the vast majority of Sikh marriages in India are girl younger, marrying an older guy. I am just curious as to if it ever happens the other direction? Does a younger Sikh guy ever marry a girl who is older than he is? If so, is this relation ever accepted by the in laws?? How about if the age difference is 10 years (girl 10 years older)?? I know that if two people are compatible and love each other, then it should be fine and society and parental views should not come into it... however I know that in Indian and Sikh marriages, parental input does seem to dominate.

Now my views on this: women live longer than men by average about 10 years... meaning women SHOULD marry a man younger than them, in order to avoid such long periods of time as a widow. (Just look at the percentage of elderly women alive compared to men as proof) Also, it has been proven that the risk for things like down syndrome etc, lie mostly with the genetic material donated by the father, not the Mother. Meaning, a woman who is 40 would have MUCH better chance conceiving a healthy baby with a 30 year old man, than a 50 year old man... or even 40 year old man!!! It is so normal to see marriages where the girl is 10 years younger, so I can't understand why it would be so bad for the opposite. Just wondering what the input of Sikhs would be - and if you have ever seen this happen and be successful AND accepted by the guys parents??

More...