British (Christians) interference in Sikh Faith

SBN CEO

Administrator
Staff member
Dear all - I have been thinking about this topic for a long time (about 4 years now).

Most religions practiced in the world originated thousands of years ago. Hinduism has been prevalent in India for more than 5000 years, Buddhism is about 2500 years old, Christianity and Judaism are more than 2000 years old and Islam is 1300 years old. These religions have successfully passed the test of time. All of these religions had the backing of kingdoms. The history has proven time and again that a religion can not sustain without the backing of a kingdom or country.
rwj ibnw nhI Drm cly hy[ Drm ibnw sb dly mly hY[
It is no surprise that no modern religion could successfully establish among these religions. Then came Guru Nanak, who not only proved flaws in the prevailing religious practices, but also laid strong foundation of Sikh faith that passed the test of time with flying colors with no sponsorship from kingdoms or countries today. Sikhism, today, is world’s fifth largest religion, ahead of Judaism.

People usually think religions as a practice started thousands of years ago. When I talk to people in USA about Sikh religion and tell them that it started five centuries ago, I get a surprise look. Recently, I got a chance to give few presentations about Sikh religion to local population in USA. First thing that I usually talk in those presentations is the timeline. It helps set perspective in the audience mind about how modern our religion is. I usually tell them Sikh religion started around the time Columbus discovered America. Later, I found many other modern world history events that happened during the 1500s to 1700s when Sikh religion was very young. Here is a chart showing some of the major world events around that time along with major events of Sikh history. Here are few interesting facts from this chart:
ØGuru Nanak started his travels when he was just 31 years old. It was interesting to note that Guru Nanak had this desire to travel around the world at such a young age. When we think of Guru Nanak, various artists’ creation - in which Guru Nanak is shown with full flowing grey hair beard come to our mind. Imagine Guru Nanak as a young Sikh in his thirties with pitch black full flowing beard traveling all over India spreading his words of wisdom.
ØWhen Guru Nanak was spreading his knowledge around India and Middle East, explorers like Columbus, Vasco De Gama and Ferdinand Magellan were exploring sea routes around the world. Columbus discovered America and Vasco de Gama landed in India when Guru Nanak was in his twenties.
ØLong before Copernicus claimed that the Earth revolves around the Sun and the invention of telescope, Guru Nanak was spreading the words:
DrqI hor pry hor hor]
ØThe City of Amritsar was founded just 50 years before the Manhattan Island was bought by Dutch from Native Americans.

I have been thinking for sometime now, that how come there is no mention of Christianity in the Guru Nanak and other Guru's and Bhagat's shabads in the Guru Granth Sahib. It is well known fact that Islam and Christianity share the same roots. How come then all Bhagat's and Guru's shabad refer to only Hindu and Islam?

Is it that Guru Nanak never came across Christian followers in his travels to the far west in Mecca Madina and in the southern India. Portugese had well settled in Goa by then. Christians (British) were also settling in India since late 1500s. How come there is no mention of them in any of Sikh historical artifacts.

Printing press was a western invention. The first Guru Granth Sahib and Sikh history books were published during the British Regime (late 1800s). Does any one know who (perhaps british (read christians)) financed the printing of first Guru Granth Sahib and other Sikh history books (Tawareekh Khalsa, Suraj Prakash, etc.)? Did they edit out any shabads, references to Christians practices from Guru Granth Sahib?

Anyone ever compared the currently accepted copy of Guru Granth Sahib with about 56 hand written copies (pothis) to check the differences. There was a study conducted by Prof. Piar Singh and published as a book - Gaatha Granth Sahib. He was quickly declared a tankhaiya by the panth and asked to apologize. All printed copies of that book were recalled and burnt.

I attended American Association of Religion and Society of Biblical Literature conference in Philadelphia in 2005. Scholars from all over world presented their work in the 3 day conference. Among other sessions, there was a session on "Men's studies in Religion Group". This session examined the construction and experience of masculanities in the contexts of Mormonism, Sikhism and evangelical Christianity. Navdeep Mandier from Conventry, UK presented his paper. Among other things, he mentioned that British (read Christians) were always interested in all races that displayed open display of masuline features. With long beard and open display of kirpan, british quickly became very intererested in Sikhs.

We used to carry 3 feet long kirpan which was shortened to 6 inches during British (Christian) Raj. We used to sport open flowing beard. British (Christian) Generals ordered Sikh soldiers to tie the beard up.

In today's world, the Chritian's influence (interference) in Sikhs is increasing daily, especially in Punjab. Few years back, there was an english movie DaVinci Code which suggested Jesus Christ was married and had kids. Christians all over the world protested this movie. There was a move to ban this movie in India. The only two states where this movie was finally banned were Nagaland and Punjab.

Do I make any sense?

Regards

More...