Help with Ideas to Celebrate Vaisakhi (April 2013) for Young People

SBN CEO

Administrator
Staff member
I wasn't sure where to put this so I do apologise in advance if it's in the wrong place and would be grateful if the mods could move it to the right place but I was wondering if I could get some help...

In a meeting I had recently at work, I proposed an idea of celebrating the Sikh festival of Vaisakhi.

We generally run events for young people that are very generic to celebrate different religious festivals. We don't promote the religion itself in anyway but just celebrate it with different events and activities. Like for Easter, we have Easter Egg hunts etc although nothing about the actual cause of Easter is celebrated.

Our user group is under the age of 16, and I am unsure of what sort of generic events/activities that we could hold with young people of this age to celebrate Vaisakhi. Most of the children who attend are actually under the age of 10. So really it needs to be suitable for them. Of course, there's the basic like creating a Vaisakhi card but I wanted something abit more lively and fun. We will also have refreshments and explain the concept of the Langar Hall but would need activities and events to go with this for the rest of the day.

Depending on the success of this event, we hope to run events for the other major Sikh festivals also so I really want to try get it right the first time.

We do have a very small Sikh community where we are, who I will get in touch with shortly to see what they could help with but in the mean time, I'd be super grateful if anyone could kindly contribute any ideas of things we could do. :)

More...