Wanting to be a Kirtan/Raag/Shabad Musician

SBN CEO

Administrator
Staff member
wjkk wjkf
Hi everyone, it has been sometime since ive visited these forums with a question. and that my knowledge is tiny but i was wondering how to go about to be a raag/shabad/kirtan muscian? i am hoping to purchase a Tanpura (i think that how it spelled). i enjoy it sound or lack of a simple and more of melodic wave and learning it because when i visit gurdwara (weather and money pending) i enjoy hearing the kirtan musicians both young and older, with various instruments ie harmonium, little kanga type drums (sorry i dont know their name) . or on you tube with those plus sitar and tanpura as well. i really want to sing/play music to waheguru ji. while i cannot read gumukhi will this hinder me? can i write my own and just play/sing in english? also if i wanted to play with others as a muscian (without singing myself) would i do that? i do not know really anyone at gurdwara except the head person, and most there speak only punjabi/gumukhi (sorry if i getting it confused, i am realy trying to learn). i been trying to learn the language on my own, but it is hard without a teacher. playing music of praises to guru bring a smile to me both inside and out. i am also slowly trying to remeber to read bani daily but i forget to. i did memorize the mool matar and i sing it to myself during house work alot. i really like it. sorry to drag on.
wjkk wjkf all.:japosatnamwaheguru:

More...