Yoga, and Other Practices, and Gurbani

SBN CEO

Administrator
Staff member
YOGA and others Practices as defined in Gurbani

Guru Nanak frees his followers from prevailed false promises made by the man on behalf of the Lord and advises not to fall for any such bate, he asks them to get imbued with the Lord through Guru who enables the followers to feel and see Him. It is not about taking responsibility of our committed sins by some one. It is not about a list of things one is promised to have after death or the ones who were here and remained Maya inflicted and would save us. It is about the Lord and us, Guru is a helper to make us realize Him. All stressed is given on creating longing for the Lord while educating the mind not to fall for worldly temptations and its own unending desires. All the rest talk is futile. The following Guru Shabad, Guru makes this point very clear. Finding words like” Jog(yog) in Sree Guru Granth Sahib, many have tried to build their shops on it. Be aware, it has nothing to do with the union of the Lord that comes by being without ant bit “I-ness” It is a matter of a choice, choose to take this spiritual and only follow the true Guru who has experienced Him, or just talk about it and stay glued where we are.
( SGGS Ji 213)
ਗਉੜੀ ਮਹਲਾ ਸਭਹੂ ਕੋ ਰਸੁ ਹਰਿ ਹੋ ਰਹਾਉ
Ga▫oṛī mėhlā 5. Sabẖhū ko ras har ho. ||1|| rahā▫o.
Gauri 5th Guru. God is the essence of everything. Pause.
ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ ਹੀ ਸਭ ਜੀਵਾਂ ਦਾ ਸ੍ਰੇਸ਼ਟ ਆਨੰਦ ਹੈਰਹਾਉ
He is the only one for Sikhs every thing.
ਕਾਹੂਜੋਗਕਾਹੂਭੋਗਕਾਹੂਗਿਆਨਕਾਹੂਧਿਆਨਕਾਹੂਹੋਡੰਡਧਰਿਹੋ
Kāhū jog kāhū bẖog kāhū gi▫ān kāhū ḏẖi▫ān.Kāhū ho dand ḏẖar ho. ||1||
Some practice science of yoga( not Sikhs)some Divine Knowledge, and some meditation.Some like to be staff bearer hermits.
(ਪਰ)ਹੇ ਭਾਈ! (ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਤੋਂ ਖੁੰਝ ਕੇ) ਕਿਸੇ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਨੂੰ ਜੋਗ ਕਮਾਣ ਦਾ ਸ਼ੌਕ ਪੈਗਿਆ ਹੈ, ਕਿਸੇ ਨੂੰ ਦੁਨੀਆ ਦੇ ਪਦਾਰਥ ਮਾਨਣ ਦਾ ਚਸਕਾ ਹੈਕਿਸੇ ਨੂੰ ਗਿਆਨ-ਚਰਚਾਚੰਗੀ ਲੱਗਦੀ ਹੈ, ਕਿਸੇ ਨੂੰ ਸਮਾਧੀਆਂ ਪਸੰਦ ਹਨ ਤੇ ਕਿਸੇ ਨੂੰ ਡੰਡਾ-ਧਾਰੀ ਜੋਗੀ ਬਣਨਾਚੰਗਾ ਲੱਗਦਾ ਹੈ
Well, people make choices as per given awareness, some choose so known “Jog”, some are in only obtaining Devine knowledge to talk about, some go into deep Samadhi pertending He is obtained and some go for staff bearer hermits. They make choices but Guru ji doesn’t say that these choices are right to make because in the end of the Shabad, Guru states what is actually needed and is worthy to do.

ਕਾਹੂ ਜਾਪ ਕਾਹੂ ਤਾਪ ਕਾਹੂ ਪੂਜਾ ਹੋਮ ਨੇਮ ਕਾਹੂ ਹੋ ਗਉਨੁ ਕਰਿ ਹੋ
Kāhū jāp kāhū ṯāp kāhū pūjā hom nem. Kāhū ho ga▫un kar ho. ||2||
Some love lip repetition, some penance, some worship, burnt offerings and daily rites. Some like a wandering existence.
Same way, there are others who choose to just recite in repetition of words they believe in, some are into penance and worshiping rituals and there are those who just wander around in search of truth or to do some act to please the Lord.
ਹੇਭਾਈ! (ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ ਛੱਡ ਕੇ) ਕਿਸੇ ਨੂੰ (ਦੇਵੀ ਦੇਵਤਿਆਂ ਦੇ ਵੱਸ ਕਰਨ ਦੇ) ਜਾਪਪਸੰਦ ਆ ਰਹੇ ਹਨ, ਕਿਸੇ ਨੂੰ ਧੂਣੀਆਂ ਤਪਾਣੀਆਂ ਚੰਗੀਆਂ ਲੱਗਦੀਆਂ ਹਨ, ਕਿਸੇ ਨੂੰਦੇਵ-ਪੂਜਾ, ਕਿਸੇ ਨੂੰ ਹਵਨ ਆਦਿਕ ਦੀ ਨਿੱਤ ਦੀ ਕਾਰ ਪਸੰਦ ਹੈ ਤੇ ਕਿਸੇ ਨੂੰ (ਰਮਤਾਸਾਧੂ ਬਣ ਕੇ) ਧਰਤੀ ਉਤੇ ਤੁਰੇ ਫਿਰਨਾ ਚੰਗਾ ਲੱਗਦਾ ਹੈ
ਕਾਹੂ ਤੀਰ ਕਾਹੂ ਨੀਰ ਕਾਹੂ ਬੇਦ ਬੀਚਾਰ ਨਾਨਕਾਭਗਤਿਪ੍ਰਿਅਹੋ੧੫੫
Kāhū ṯīr kāhū nīr kāhū beḏ bīcẖār. Nānkā bẖagaṯ pari▫a ho. ||3||2||155||
Some love the shore, some the water and some the study of Vedas. To Nanak, the devotional service of God is dear.
There are those who like to be on shore of the river and some do pilgrimage and some are into study of Vedas. Guru describes that these are a few choices people make; none of this is worth recommendable. Then what is it that Guru thinks is important and worth to do. It is the devotional service to the Lord because this is what is dear to the Lord. It is like making effort to merge in source we come from. All others practices can merely claim of attracting the Lord but it is not dear to the Lord. Who glamorize these practices, they may have their own agenda but it has nothing to do with devotional service of the Lord while being in His love. There is no spirituality without unconditional love for HIM.
ਹੇਭਾਈ! ਕਿਸੇ ਨੂੰ ਕਿਸੇ ਨਦੀ ਦੇ ਕੰਢੇ ਬੈਠਣਾ, ਕਿਸੇ ਨੂੰ ਤੀਰਥ-ਇਸ਼ਨਾਨ, ਤੇ ਕਿਸੇ ਨੂੰਵੇਦਾਂ ਦੀ ਵਿਚਾਰ ਪਸੰਦ ਹੈਪਰ, ਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ! ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਭਗਤੀ ਨੂੰ ਪਿਆਰ ਕਰਨ ਵਾਲਾਹੈ੧੫੫
After expressing about the different choices people make, Guru comes to help the followers to understand the duty in His pursuit. In the following Guru Shabad, attention of the followers is guided towards the Lord only as He becomes every thing for the devotees. He becomes everything because the rest is considered temporary with attached temptations and promoters of the ego that build wall between HIM and us. Please ponder over the following seet Guru Shabad
ਗਉੜੀ ਮਹਲਾ ਗੁਨ ਕੀਰਤਿ ਨਿਧਿ ਮੋਰੀ ਰਹਾਉ
Ga▫oṛī mėhlā 5. Gun kīraṯ niḏẖ morī. ||1|| rahā▫o.
Gauri 5th Guru. To sing the praise of the Lord is my treasure. Pause.
(ਹੇ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ!) ਤੇਰੇ ਗੁਣਾਂ ਦੀ ਵਡਿਆਈ ਕਰਨੀ ਹੀ ਮੇਰੇ ਵਾਸਤੇ (ਦੁਨੀਆ ਦੇ ਸਾਰੇ ਪਦਾਰਥਾਂ ਦਾ) ਖ਼ਜ਼ਾਨਾ ਹੈਰਹਾਉ
Think about it, this is Sikhism; doubtless it is a statement filled with numerous hints about all that impress the world but as Guru, it is just not useful in His pursuit. Guru followers have no intention to impress the world for personal satisfaction. For them it is Him only. If He is realized, followers become completely contented. If it happens, it is like experiencing a miracle.
ਤੂੰਹੀ ਰਸ ਤੂੰਹੀ ਜਸ ਤੂੰਹੀ ਰੂਪ ਤੂਹੀ ਰੰਗ ਆਸ ਓਟ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਤੋਰੀ
Ŧūʼnhī ras ṯūʼnhī jas ṯūʼnhī rūp ṯūhī rang. Ās ot parabẖ ṯorī. ||1||
Thou art my delight, Thou my praise, Thou my beauty and Thou my love. Thou, O Lord, art my hope and shelter.
As stated above,the mind gets absorbed in Him, there remains no space for so called attractive temptations. The followers leave themselves on only His support.
Now compare other choices with this state of mind. Physical exercises may be helpful for physical well being but it has nothing to do with spirituality. These were used to impress others or to lure others into a venturethan seeking the Lord by being fully in His love
(ਹੇਪ੍ਰਭੂ!) ਤੂੰ ਹੀ (ਮੇਰੇ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਦੁਨੀਆ ਦੇ ਪਦਾਰਥਾਂ ਦੇ) ਸੁਆਦ ਹੈਂ, ਤੂੰ ਹੀ (ਮੇਰੇਵਾਸਤੇ ਦੁਨੀਆ ਦੀਆਂ) ਵਡਿਆਈਆਂ ਹੈਂ, ਤੂੰ ਹੀ (ਮੇਰੇ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਜਗਤ ਦੇ ਸੋਹਣੇ ਰੂਪ ਤੇਰੰਗ-ਤਮਾਸ਼ੇ ਹੈਂਹੇ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ! ਮੈਨੂੰ ਤੇਰੀ ਓਟ ਹੈ ਤੇਰੀ ਹੀ ਆਸ ਹੈ
ਤੂਹੀ ਮਾਨ ਤੂੰਹੀ ਧਾਨ ਤੂਹੀ ਪਤਿ ਤੂਹੀ ਪ੍ਰਾਨ ਗੁਰਿ ਤੂਟੀ ਲੈ ਜੋਰੀ
Ŧūhī mān ṯūʼnhī ḏẖān ṯūhī paṯ ṯūhī parān. Gur ṯūtī lai jorī. ||2||
Thou art my pride, Thou art my wealth, Thou art my honour and Thou art my very life. The Guru has united me with Thee, from whom I had parted.
(ਹੇਪ੍ਰਭੂ!) ਤੂੰ ਹੀ ਮੇਰਾ ਮਾਣ-ਆਦਰ ਹੈਂ, ਤੂੰ ਹੀ ਮੇਰਾ ਧਨ ਹੈਂ, ਤੂੰ ਹੀ ਮੇਰੀ ਇੱਜ਼ਤਹੈਂ, ਤੂੰ ਹੀ ਮੇਰੀ ਜਿੰਦ (ਦਾ ਸਹਾਰਾ) ਹੈਂਮੇਰੀ ਤੁੱਟੀ ਹੋਈ (ਸੁਰਤ) ਨੂੰ ਗੁਰੂ ਨੇ (ਤੇਰੇ ਨਾਲ) ਜੋੜ ਦਿੱਤਾ ਹੈ
People inflicted in Maya will die for worldly recognition and wealth, this is not the case of the devotees of the Lord because their world starts with the Lord and ends with Him. Now look at the next Guru Vaak” Gur tutee lai joree( ਗੁਰਿ ਤੂਟੀ ਲੈ ਜੋਰੀ Guru has united me who was parted from the Lord))
True Guru has the experience of the Lord, he enables to realize Him, the separation from the Lord felt all the time, comes to an end.

TO BE CONTINUED

More...